Globalstar Africa Satellite Services Ltd announced on the 5th of March that its SPOT X two-way satellite communications device is now available in Africa.
- New SPOT X GPS Messenger features two-way SMS and email for reliable safety and communications
- Small, rugged device set to appeal to hikers, sailors, cyclists and other outdoor enthusiasts
- Globalstar introduces flexible monthly price plans for SPOT X seasonal users
- SPOT devices credited with over 6,200 rescue callouts including over 300 in EMENA
The latest generation of the popular SPOT family of products, SPOT X offers full two-way SMS and email as well as GPS tracking and a one-touch SOS button that instantly send the user’s GPS location to the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Centre (IERCC) over Globalstar’s reliable satellite network. The IERCC then transmits details to local first responders to dispatch help to user’s precise location.
SPOT X is the only satellite messenger on the market to give users a permanent phone number, easy check-in function and a full, backlit QWERTY keypad for intuitive typing. SPOT X also offers the industry’s longest battery life in both tracking and SOS modes and is priced competitively.
- TEXT AND EMAIL – Send and receive 140-character text messages and short emails with any mobile phone number or email address
- LONG-LASTING BATTERY – rechargeable Lithium battery averages a battery life of 10 days when tracking at 10-minute intervals
- COMPACT – lightweight at 198g, 166mm length x 74mm width x 44mm depth
- KEYBOARD AND DISPLAY – Easy to use illuminated QWERTY keyboard that is usable in any light setting plus 6.9mm backlit display
- RUGGED – Impact, dust and water resistant (IP67)
- SOS – Direct two-way text communication with search and rescue services
- TRACK –Tracks progress at intervals of 2 ½, 5, 10, 30, or 60 minutes and share location on Google Maps
- CHECK IN – Sends contacts an OK message with a single push of a button
- POST TO SOCIAL – Link your accounts to keep your friends and family in the know wherever you go
- COMPASS – Built-in compass and waypoints aid navigation
- ELEVATION – Include elevation within messages
“With absolute loads of off-the-grid travel coming up – including a mammoth African river ‘source-too-sea’ adventure – the SPOT X could not have arrived at a better time for me” said Jacques Marais, esteemed South African adventurer and photo-journalist. “Now my gorgeous family will not only know that I am safe on my expeditions, but will also be able to communicate with me beyond cellular limitations … this will be life-changing in so many ways”.
“SPOT X is a true game-changer for any outdoor adventurer who goes into the mountains, the bush, out to sea or just in remote areas with limited cellular coverage” said Sean McCormick, Managing Director of Globalstar Satellite Africa. “As a growing number of adventurers undertake ever more extreme adventures, SPOT X’s unique features including a backlit keyboard, a local country phone number and long battery life will help keep them safe and in touch with loved ones.”
The SPOT X device will retail at ZAR3,999.99 with flexible monthly payment service plans starting from just ZAR 230.00 per month for seasonal users or just ZAR195.00 per month for annual service plans. More pricing and coverage details are available at Africa.FindMeSPOT.com .